Wednesday, March 3, 2010

7 Ways I Work My Blog

I started this blog in November 2008 and I had no idea what I was doing.  One thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to document my journey to eating a raw vegan diet.  Overtime, my focus has changed.  I will continue sharing my journey, but I also enjoy sharing information and inspiring others to live a healthy lifestyle.

Today, I am working my blog everyday.  Some of you are probably wondering, "What does working my blog mean?"  Well, my goal is to build a community and to have a blog that is reaching people.  If I want to build a community and have a readership, then there is work that I must do. 

I don't get hung on the number of followers I have, because it is the number of people that my posts actually reaches that matters.  What good is a large following, if no one is visiting your blog and leaving comments or even sending you emails?

How I'm Working My Blog
  • Posting regularly.  I try to post at least 5 times a week and I usually take a break on Thursdays, but that may change.  I also focus on putting out good content.  Content that will be beneficial and helpful to others.
  • Commenting on other blogs.  I use to be scared to comment on other blogs, but now I'm not scared.  I have found myself commenting more on blogs outside of my niche and some of those blog owners will take time to come over and visit and some will even RT (re-tweet) a post that they enjoyed. 
  • Improving blog layout.  I am always seeing what works best on my blog and in the sidebars.  I try not to put a lot of extra widgets in the sidebar, because I have learned that too much of anything will make the page load slowly.  I don't want anyone who wants to leave a comment to leave because the page load time took too long.
  • Being more active in social media.  I am on Twitter, but have just recently started being more social.  As a result, I have met some nice people on Twitter inside and outside of my niche.  Now, I'm working on being more active in Digg and StumbleUpon.  Oh, and there's Facebook and I usually post links on Facebook that I think friends would enjoy reading.
  • Sharing the blog posts of others.  If I enjoyed your post and got a lot from your post then you can expect me to comment and/or share it on social media.  That is my way showing my appreciation.
  • Becoming more active in forums.  I'm a member of a few forums/groups in my niche and I rarely visit and participate in discussions.  I will be carving out time for visiting and being more active in these forums/groups.
  • Being different and unique.  Although my blog is about eating a raw vegan diet, there is so much information out here that can be shared with everyone, and that information can possibly help someone.  Even if going vegetarian or vegan is not your thing, there is always something for you on this blog.

Since, I spend a lot of time on blogs that help me become a better blogger, then I have decided to devote Wednesdays to posting articles about blogging.

 Question:  How do you work your blog and how much time do you devote to making your blog a better blog?

Happy Hump Day!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]