Friday, December 11, 2009

Transitioning from Eating Meat



A few days ago, one of my readers emailed me a question and I decided to do a post about this.  I feel this will help others who are giving up eating meat.

Question from Reader:  "Girl did you completely go off meat or did you do it in cycles, like I'm off beef, pork and milk.  I'm getting off chicken now, but still do cheese, turkey and fish.  I think the hardest part for me is eating like a veggie, a grain and no meat, so I will eat a piece of salmon."

Dear Reader,

First let me commend you on making your healthy lifestyle changes.  I know it is not easy, but in the long run it will pay off.  Stick with it and don't let anyone discourage you.

I think it is best to transition into giving up animal flesh and animal by-products, because if you try to do it all at once, you may have problems.  As a result you will tell yourself this cannot be done.  So take it nice and slow.

I gradually moved into eating no meat at all.  It was very easy for me to give up beef, pork and dairy products, because I have read a lot of information about how these so-called food products effect the body.  Plus they wreak havoc on the female reproductive system.  So it was very easy for me to let those products go.

The next animal flesh that I gave up was chicken and turkey.  After reading that turkeys are related to buzzards, it wasn't hard at all for me to kick that turkey's butt to the side.  The last animal flesh that I let go was fish.  I love tilapia  and it was such sweet sorrow for me parting with that, but hey, my health is at stake here and I have to do what I have to do.

What I have found to really work for me is reading more about how these animal foods effect the body.  Whenever I find this information, it seals the deal for me to stay away from such foods.

During your transition, try getting your meat/poultry/fish from an organic source.  

Here are few things that I have found about animal flesh that have helped me steer clear of them.
  • Pumped up with all kinds of chemicals. I don't want those chemicals entering my body because they are toxic. Just because they don't tell you this, doesn't mean it isn't so.
  • Digestion time.  It takes longer for animal flesh to digest.  When it is in our bodies (warm environment), the animal flesh rots, which releases toxins into the blood stream.  Overtime this cause problems.
  • Wreaks havoc on the female reproductive system.  These animals have hormones which get ingested and causes hormonal imbalances.  Hormonal imbalances lead to all sorts of conditions.
  • Acidity.  The body operates best in an alkaline state, but when we add animal flesh and animal by-products, it increases the acidity in our bodies, which can lead to disease.
  • Disease. Research has shown that animal flesh and animal products are linked to certain diseases, like heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and certain cancers.  There are more, but these are what come to mind.
 A while back I wrote a post about meat. You may find No Meat for Me helpful, so check it out.

Discussion time
How did you stop eating meat?  

Have a super weekend!  :)