Wednesday, December 30, 2009

21 Things I've Learned from Blogging in 2009



I have been blogging for a year.  I started this blog to document my journey to raw foods and it has evolved into something more.  I love blogging.  I have met people from all over the world and I am thankful our paths have crossed.  Today, I will share with you what I have learned in the raw living food blogging niche as well as from blogging.

What I've learned about the Raw Living Food way of eating (plant-based style)

  1. One diet does not fit all.  Everyone cannot eat 100% raw living foods and it is okay.  The world is not going to end if you do not eat 100% raw living foods.
  2. One diet is not healthier than the other.  Just because one eats 100% raw living foods doesn't mean they are healthier than someone who eats 85% raw living foods or high raw.  
  3. Variety is the spice of life.  Eating a raw living foods diet is not boring.  Simply jazz it up with something you've never tried.
  4. Your body will let you know.  Listen to your body when it comes to how much of a type of food you should eat and not so much to someone else.
  5. Alkalinity is key.  Green leafy vegetables, vegetable juices and vegetables help alkalize the body.  Incorporating more of these foods in your diet will make a difference in how you feel.
  6. Change when you have to and don't feel bad about it.  If you strive to eat 100% raw living foods and after a few months decide that 100% is not for you, then it is okay.  You have raw food liberty..which means you have freedom to do what works for you.
  7. A great attitude helps.  Don't stress out or be religious about the way you eat.  Just go with the flow and do you.  Always make sure you are content with your decisions and don't push your views on others.  Your attitude will rub off on others..good or bad.
  8. Don't take other people's words as absolutes.  If someone says a certain food is not good for you and you really want to try that food..better yet you love this food.  Then don't stop eating it because someone said so, let your body and your personal research be the judge and act accordingly.
  9. Gurus can be wrong.  Don't get caught up in these so-called gurus, they can have you all messed up.  Read, learn, research, but always do what makes sense to you and not the guru.
  10. Eating high raw is great.  You are not a sell out if you eat a little cooked food.  I have actually found that eating 10-15% of my diet in cooked foods works well for me.  Eventually if you want to eat 100% you can, but it is up to you to decide.
  11. Juicing is awesome.  I have gotten into juicing and really enjoy it.  I can definitely tell a difference in my body.  When I first started this journey, I was convinced that juicing was not the way to go(because of what some guru had said), but after trying it for myself, I know it is a great way to get your nutrients quick, fast and in a hurry.
What I've learned about Blogging
  1. Provide great content.  This is sometimes a challenge, but content is what makes the blog.   
  2. Post regularly.  It doesn't matter if you post everyday or a few times a week.  Make those posts count and do it consistently.
  3. Comment on other blogs.  It is important that you take sometime to comment on other blogs. Don't just say, "Great post!"  Add a little something more to your comment that will be beneficial to others who read your comment.
  4. Respond to all comments.  It can be a pain, but it is very rewarding.  This is how you build community and keep the lines of communication open.  Often times, when I see that a blogger has not responded to any of his/her comments, it rings loud in my mind and I am sometimes reluctant to leave a comment.
  5. Be true to yourself.  Write passionately about what you love and don't be scared.  Many times others will feel the passion in your writing and be compelled to connect with you.
  6. Blogging is hard work.  Blogging is not easy.  It actually takes planning, researching, a little organization and then some.  Sometimes coming up with content is a challenge, but when that happens to me, I simply take a break. 
  7. Always research and stay on top of your game.  You are the expert when it comes to your blog.  Be about it and do what you have to do.
  8. Develop relationships with other bloggers.  Sometimes it is hard to do this, especially in this niche, but I continue.  I read many blogs in several different niches which helps me learn and get to know others.  I gain so much from these interactions.
  9. Be real and not fake.  Real is the best way to be.  Let others get to know you by being you and keeping it real.  Your readers will appreciate it.
  10. Don't be afraid to connect.  Don't be shy about connecting with others in your niche and outside your niche.  Chances are those other bloggers will be very happy that someone has taken the time to comment on their blog and/or connect with them on face book or twitter.
My Blog Goals for 2010 
  1. Post regularly and consistently
  2. Be more involved in community and forums
  3. Be more active in social media.
A few questions for the readers:
  • What have you learned since you've been eating raw living foods plant-based style?
  •  How will you improve your blog in 2010?
Have a Blessed and Happy New Year!  :-)

Much love,