Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Red Hairy Fruit - Rambutan



I was encouraged to purchase some rambutans by my friend Ms. B.  I was very reluctant to purchase this fruit, because it looked scary.  I'm glad I took a chance and purchased a few.

The flesh of the rambutan fruit reminds me of a grape, but it is a little firmer than a grape. The first time I tasted this fruit, I was surprised that it was sweet.  This fruit looked scary to me and I didn't know what to expect.  Nevertheless, I tried it and I love them.  It reminds me of a sweet sour grape.  I can't wait to get to the market so I can purchase some more.

About Rambutan

Rambutan is a native of Malaysia, Indonesia, and Southeast Asia although the precise distribution is unknown.  Rambutan  means hairy and as you can see in the picture, it is covered with hair.

The rambutan is related to the lychee.  The flesh is white and has a brown seed inside.



 

 

This little fruit helped me out one night.  I almost grabbed something not so healthy to eat, but instead I ate 3 rambutans and I was satisfied.


What's in rambutans?
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin A
  • Potassium
  • Zinc
  • Phosphourus
  • Manganese
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Protein
  • Ash
If you haven't tried this exotic fruit, you should give it a try.  I like them and I can't wait to have more.

It is never boring being a raw food vegan!  :)