Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How to Make a Green Smoothie

I have a friend who wants some green smoothie recipes. Today I will tell you how to make a mean green smoothie and the benefits one can expect from drinking green smoothies.

What are green smoothies?

Green smoothies consist of green leafy vegetables, fruit and a liquid. Besides this you can add whatever you like to the mixture (coconut oil, spirulina, seeds, nuts, wheat grass). The possibilities are endless.

The key to making green smoothies is to have a reasonable amount of green leafy vegetables in smoothie. I use to stuff my smoothies with a lot of fruit. I had a lot of fruit smoothies back then and very few green smoothies. So make sure you add enough greens to your smoothie to consider it a green smoothie.

You may need to add extra sweetness to your smoothie at the beginning, but after drinking green smoothies for a while, you will find that your desire for extra sweetness diminishes. If you find that you need a sweetener, you can add a little dates, raw organic honey, stevia, agave nectar, yacon syrup or maple syrup. It all depends on your taste and what you prefer.

Green Smoothie Benefits

These are some benefits that I have personally experienced from drinking about 4 cups of green smoothie every day for 7 days straight.
  1. Better mental clarity
  2. Weight release/loss
  3. Cravings decreases
  4. The skin is smoother and clearer
  5. An increase in energy
  6. Easier bowel movements with regularity
Below is a video that I made showing you how I now make green smoothies. If you have any questions, please let me know.

video