Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cool Tropical Green Smoothie


I am participating in a Green Smoothie challenge with some friends on You Tube and this is Day 1. The challenge will be for 10 days.

I am challenging myself to have 2 green smoothies for my first and second meals. My goal is to have 32 oz. of green smoothie everyday and to eat a yummy raw food dinner.

I started on Sunday, and I was very successful with staying on the wagon. I'll tell you in a future post, what I am doing.

Today, I had a delicious green smoothie. I named it "The Cool Tropical Green Smoothie". I used 2 herbs in this smoothie and I have never added any herbs to a smoothie. I used a few sprigs of mint and 2-3 basil leaves along with Romaine lettuce. This smoothie hit the spot. I didn't realize that mint and basil had the medicinal qualities that they have until I pulled out my book about growing herbs.

Medicinal Benefits of Mint: Useful for women's and children's health, nervous system, and respiratory and digestive tract conditions. It is also valuable for pain relief, winter illness, and throat and skin conditions.

Medicinal Benefits of Basil: Basil is an excellent digestive support herb.

Source: Growing 101 Herbs that Heal: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies

This is a very tasty green smoothie that I can see myself making again. The only thing I would change is the number of bananas (1 instead of 2) and the frozen mango chunks (5 or 6 instead of 10). Other than that this is a winner.

Check out what's in this Cool Tropical Green Smoothie.



Let me know if you try it and what you think!
Enjoy! :-)