Friday, September 4, 2009

Put Health First and the Rest Will Follow


Some people switch to raw foods to release weight. There is nothing wrong with wanting to release the weight, but obtaining optimum health should be the number one goal. If you stick with the raw food lifestyle the weight will come off.

I didn't just wake up one morning and say, "I think I'll be a raw food vegan today." The driving force behind my dietary changes was for health reasons. I knew by changing my diet, my body would get back in balance.

When I first began my raw food journey, I weighed 117 lbs, but now I weigh 110 lbs. I actually weighed 11o lbs my senior year in high school.

Before beginning my raw food journey, I was master cleansing, detoxing and giving vegetarianism a try. I had no intentions of becoming a raw food vegan, but here I am today eating mostly a raw food diet because it is the healthiest thing I can do for my body.

Five years ago, I was in a different place with my diet, health and weight. As you can see in the photo below, I was overweight.

Me (152 lbs) and hubby in 2004

I once weighed 152 pounds (too much for my 5'1" frame), but once I started doing cleanses (master cleansing, Dherbs), and making dietary changes, the weight came off.

Many years of eating the SAD (Standard American Diet), landed me at an unhealthy weight. If I had continued on the SAD path, I could be weighing close to 200 lbs. Can you imagine the health problems, I would be dealing with today?

Me in the purple with my Aunt in 2004

Me at my high school reunion (C/o 1989 -20 years).

Sometimes we can get caught up in what the scale says. But I say, stay off the scale and focus on becoming the healthiest person you can possibly become. Every now and then, you can jump on the scale to see how things are going, but don't obsess about it.

My Tips for Releasing Weight
  1. Find what works for you and stick with it. Don't be so quick to jump on board and do what others are doing. It may not be the best thing for you to do. Be true to yourself!
  2. Focus on optimum health. When you focus on your health, then you won't get depressed because the weight is not coming off as fast as you would like. Everything will come in due time.
  3. Increase fresh fruits and veggies and drink water, 1/2 your body weight in ounces. Eat a lot of fruits/veggies that have high water content and drink your water. These foods are high in fiber too. There is power in fresh fruits and veggies. You'd be amazed!
  4. Exercise. You don't have to do anything strenuous. Just start moving your body. Walking is a great start, plus it doesn't cost you anything.
  5. Fasting and cleanses. If you are new to fasting, take it slow. A one day fast (water, juice, etc.) is a start. Fasting cleanses body and gives the digestive system rest.
  6. Don't give up. Keep on pushing and you will see the pounds melt away.
Be true to you.. :)