Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Arugula, (Rocket) Queen of the Cruciferous Vegetables



I recently tried my hand at making an arugula cumin salad, after eating this salad, I wanted to eat more arugula. After discovering that I'm in love with arugula, I began incorporating more arugula in my meals. At this time, I am loving arugula, maybe arugula has something, that my body needs at this time. Whatever it is, I will listen to my body.

Arugula

Arugula (also known as Rocket in the U.S.) is a Mediterranean-type of cruciferous green-leafy vegetable. It is very popular in France and Italy and it didn't become popular in the U.S. until the 1990s. The leaves look like dandelion greens in shape and has a spicy peppery flavor similar to the mustard family. It seems like arugula is eaten more by women than men, earning it a title as the "queen of the cruciferous vegetables."

Nutrition

Arugula is high in vitamins A, K, and folic acid. It is a good source of zinc, potassium, calcium and iron. Arugula also has anti-cancer compound, glucoinolates and anti-oxidants. The mustard oils contain a high amount of sulfur which have beautifying, antibiotics and anti-viral effects. Because of the high sulfur content, arugula is an excellent skin cleanser and liver purifier.

Recipes


My very first salad
Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine, Gabriel Cousens, MD

Arugula Cumin Salad

2 C baby arugula
1 C baby spinach
1/2 C tomato diced
2 T fresh chives, minced (optional)
2 T lemon juice
2 T sunflower oil
1 t cumin
1 t Celtic salt

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.

Here is a yummy salad I had today.

Arugula Spinach Salad

3 C baby spinach
2 C baby arugula
1 1/2 C avocado, diced
1/2 C cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 C red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
2 T lime juice
1/2 T fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 1/2 t Celtic salt (add to your taste)
**I also added cumin**
**I recommend halving this recipe if making for 1 or 2 people.**

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.

Happy hump day!