Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quinoa (keen - wah)


I have a surprise coming up soon. I did a little research on what I wanted to prepare and had a very hard time finding any raw food recipes. I think this will be one of a kind.

I'll give you a hint about the recipe. I'll be using sprouted quinoa and flowers/blossoms. I found a lot of recipes that were using rice and cheese, so I decided to use sprouted quinoa. I've never eaten flowers/blossoms, but I will be eating them very soon.

What is Quinoa?

Quinoa (pronounced keen -wah) originated in the Andean region of South America, where it has been an important food for 6000 years. This is truly an ancient food.

Quinoa is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudo cereal rather than a true cereal or grain and is not a grass. Quinoa is closely related to beets, spinach and tumbleweeds. Its leaves can be eaten like a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth.

The Incas held quinoa as a sacred food and referred to quinoa as the "mother of all grains."

Some benefits of Quinoa
  • Balanced amino acid profile.
  • Good source of manganese, iron, copper and phosphorous.
  • Great for those who suffer from migraines, diabetes, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease.
  • Rich in fiber.
  • If you're into sprouting, quinoa sprouts fast (less than 24 hours).

Can you guess what flowers/blossoms I'll be using in this one of a kind raw living foods recipe? :)

Until next time...