Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Crunchy, Sweet and Salty



I am having issues with wanting to eat crunchy, sweet and salty foods and the foods that I have been eating are not healthy. I really want to stop this, so I decided to put my Excalibur to use for a good cause. Below are all the goodies I have made and the good thing about these goodies is that they can be stored for a long time. I can also eat them with salads or as a snack.

Flax Seed Crackers

I made two different types. I used the recipe in The Raw Transformation by Wendy Rudell and for the other flax seed cracker, I simply used some of my garden bounty.

Flax seed # 1 Italian Pizza Flax Seed Crackers

Soaked flax seeds for 4 hours >

Mix all ingredients (sun-dried tomatoes, tomato, garlic cloves, Celtic salt, cayenne pepper,onion powder, herbes de provence, water) in blender and added it to your soaked flax seeds. Dehydrated until dry.

Taste like an Italian pizza. Eat as a snack, top with avocado or eat with a salad.

Flax Cracker # 2 Vegetable Flax Seed Cracker

Very tasty. Ingredients (zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, fresh rosemary and topped with dulse flakes). Dehydrate until dry.

Vegetable Flax Seed Cracker

Croutons
I made several croutons using pumpkin seeds, cashews, bananas, and sunflower seeds . These can be thrown into a salad or simply eaten as a snack. These croutons are very nutritious. Here is how I did it, Again I used The Raw Transformation by Wendy Rudell. Now that I know how to do this, I will experiment with different flavors.

Curry Pumpkin Seed Croutons

Soak Raw Pumpkin Seeds

Mix sauce in a bowl and toss the seeds making sure the seeds are fully covered with the sauce. The sauce consists of olive oil, Celtic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder and cumin. Dehydrate until crunchy (2 days). Store in a covered container in a cool dry place.

Yummo! These are awesome. Not only is this a good source of zinc, but a delicious treat too.

Spicy Cashew Croutons

Soak Raw Cashews

Sweet and spicy. Mix sauce (agave/honey, but I used maple syrup, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and Celtic salt) in a bowl, making sure to coat the cashews very well. Dehydrate until crispy

Eat in a salad or as a snack.


Spicy Banana Chips

I used 2 very ripe bananas. Brush sauce (olive oil, juice of 1 lime, chili powder and cinnamon) on bananas and dehydrate for 16 hours and turn over and dehydrate the other side for the same amount of time. Dehydrate until you get the texture you desire.

Great for a snack or in a salad.


Sunflower Croutons

Soak Raw Sunflower Seeds


Mix sauce (olive oil, Celtic salt, chili powder, ginger powder/tomato powder ( I used ginger), cumin, onion powder and cayenne pepper) in a bowl, and make sure the sunflower seeds are fully coated. Dehydrate until dry and crunchy. Store in a dry place and they will last for months.

I thought I was eating some nachos.


I like all of these crunchy, sweet and salty snacks, but my favorite is the curry pumpkin seed croutons. They are so delicious and the spices bring out the flavor of the pumpkin seed even more.

When you find yourself wanting crunchy, sweet and salty foods, try these. You'll be glad you did.

Take care! :-)