Monday, May 11, 2009

Moon and Stars Watermelon

Have you ever seen a watermelon like this? I have never seen a watermelon like this in my life. It looks weird, but from what I've been reading, its quite sweet and tasty.


I broke down and purchased the moon and stars watermelon seeds out of curiosity. Here you see the germinated seeds, which I will transplant soon. We've been getting a lot of rain lately, which has hindered me from making the transfer.

Seeds germinated for transplanting

Moon and stars watermelon is oblong in shape with a dark green rind speckled with one or several large yellow "moons" and dozens to hundreds of smaller yellow "stars". Even the leaves of this heirloom watermelon variety are speckled. The flesh of the melon comes in red, yellow, orange variants, and all are incredibly sweet as compared to modern melons.

I hope to have a good harvest and I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Have a great week!