Monday, May 4, 2009

How to Grow Your Own Sprouts

"Sprouts are filled with essential vitamins, proteins, and enzymes that cleanse, rejuvenate, and heal the body, sprouts just might be the perfect food."  The Sprouting Book by Ann Wigmore.

I love sprouts in my salads and have recently started adding them to my smoothies.  I have always purchased sprouts from the store, but I will not do that anymore.  It is great to grow your own sprouts, because you know exactly what's in them and how they were grown.  It is also a wonderful feeling to know that you grew your own food.

Growing your own sprouts is very simple.  If I had known how simple it was, I would have been doing this a long time ago.  One can grow sprouts in jars, sprout/nut milk bags, in trays with soil, etc.  For this post I will share with you the jar method.  

Since this is my first time sprouting, I decided to do something simple (alfalfa sprouts).  I purchased the seeds from a natural health food store.  Alfalfa sprouts are the easiest seeds to sprout.




Soak seeds over night.  Rinse, invert and let water drain, by placing in a dish rack or bowl.  Always store the jar inverted.  Make sure to cover the jar to keep it from being exposed to light.  I covered mine with a towel.  Rinse the sprouts 2-3 times a day and let drain.

2 days later ~ 

My final day (4 days later) of sprouting, I left the jar uncovered so that sprouts could get light and develop the chlorophyll/green portions on the sprouts that you see.

Sprouts are ready.  I will store in the refrigerator and eat them as soon as possible.  The fresher the better.

Try growing your own sprouts.  You will be glad you did!

Have a great week!