Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Few Things About Watermelons


Many of you know that I have ventured out to grow watermelon.  There are a few things that I did not know about watermelon and I want to share those things with you.

Every morning I check every plant in the garden and sometimes do watering, but I didn't water this morning, because I watered yesterday. Not to mention it has been very cool where I live. Everything is doing well.  The green beans I planted last week are starting to peep through. 

The watermelon plants are doing fine.  I noticed the little leaf on one of the plants has yellow spots.  I was so excited to see the yellow spots because the variety that I have planted is Moon and Stars (suppose to have yellow spots/speckles on leaves). You can see the Moon and Stars variety in the above photo.

Did you know?
  • Watermelon originated in Africa.
  • Watermelon is a related to squash family. I noticed that through gardening.  They both look the same when they start germinating and growing.
  • The whole watermelon is nutritious. (rind, seeds and the flesh)  There is an abundance of chlorophyll in the rind.  In China, the rind is stir-fried, stewed and even pickled. 
  • Watermelon contains 8% sugar the rest is mostly water.
  • Watermelon is 92% water by weight.
  • Watermelon is a mild diuretic.
  • The red flesh watermelon is a good source for lycopene.
  • There are more than 1200 varieties of watermelon.
  • Moon and stars (one I'm growing) variety has been around since 1926.
  • Some health benefits are, vitamin C, lycopene, a temporary boost of energy, vision protection (presence of lycopene and vitamin A), helps lower blood pressure (presence of the amino acid arginine~contributes to overall general health)
Watermelon has awesome benefits.  Remember to eat your watermelon, you'll be glad you did. 

Until next time...  :)