Monday, April 27, 2009

The Sugar Monster


I have a little Sugar Monster lurking on my shoulder.  Lately, the Sugar Monster has been on my heavy and hard.  Who/what is the Sugar Monster?

The Sugar Monster is a little monster that sits on my shoulder and says, "Evelyn eat those cookies, they won't hurt you, you need a little sweetness every now and then.  Mr. B offered you a slice of cake, you can't turn it down.  Yum, yum!!  Eat it!"

I'm afraid to say that on Saturday, I went a little over board and I allowed the Sugar Monster to take total control of my will to reject sweets.  I ate a lot of coconut cookies on Saturday and that was not a good thing.

The coconut cookies smelled like the organic coconut oil that I use and had 10 grams of sugar per cookie.  Picture me sniffing a cookie and saying, "wow this smells just like coconut oil" and then devouring the cookie.  Needless to say, I felt the effects of eating too much sugar.  

I couldn't help falling asleep on my trip back home.  Thankfully, I was not driving.  I know it sounds bad!  This was a definite wake up call.  

I need to stop letting the Sugar Monster have control.  I'm in control and I run this camp. 

Yesterday, I was challenged to eat a peanut butter cookie.  My husband baked some cookies and I almost grabbed one without giving it much thought, but I stopped myself.  Needless to say the Sugar Monster was very disappointed.  

Sugar Monster find yourself a new home, because you don't life here anymore.  The captain has spoken!

I know the harm that sugar can have on the body and I will leave it alone.  Anytime, I have a craving for something sweet, I will reach for some fruit.  

If you find yourself having a sugar craving, reach for some juicy fruit and I'm not taking about juicy fruit gum.  I'm talking about nature's juicy fruit. 

Keep the Sugar Monster at bay.

Have a great Monday!