Friday, April 17, 2009

Conflicting Raw Food Information


I've been wanting to speak on this topic for quite some time and I am keeping it real.  There are some authorities in the raw food movement who recommend things that are questionable.  What exactly is the raw food diet anyway?  I find it has different meanings depending whom you ask.

I am a trained biologist and I examine closely what the authorities say.  I also study the science, as well as the logic behind their recommendations and I recommend you do the same.

My raw food sister and I were discussing certain things that are good for you and not good for you and we concluded that there is a lot of conflicting information about raw food.  Here are some of the things that we talked about.

1.  Garlic is good vs. bad.  Garlic has a lot of benefits, just don't over do it.

2.  Soy is good vs. bad.  Be careful, soy products have MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) in them and you could be one who has a severe reaction.

3.  Coconut oil is good vs. bad.  Coconut oil has many known benefits.  Don't believe that the melting point coconut oil is 110 degrees, because it is not.  The documented melting point is 76 degrees.   It is actually a healthy fat. 

4.  Too much fat vs. very little fat, to no fat at all.  The body needs fat, and fat is needed to run biochemical reactions in our bodies.  Moderation and healthy fats are the key.

5.  Raw cacao (chocolate) is good vs. bad.  There are some who report having more energy after eating raw cacao, but how long does this last.  Pay close attention to your body and how you feel.

6.  My diet recommendation is the best diet for everyone.  We are all different and every diet is not good for everyone. Biochemically we are different and require larger/smaller quantities of certain foods.

My raw food sister and I concluded, that we have to follow our own lead and do what works for us.  The most popular super food may not be as good for you as the authorities would have you believe.  Don't get bamboozled out of your hard earned money.  Spend it wisely!  

The most important message to remember is to listen, I mean really listen to your body.  Don't just hear, but listen.  There is a difference.  Your body will always lead you in the right direction.

Please join us at Living Naturally Radio, on Sunday, April 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM EST as we discuss this topic in greater detail.

Have a wonderful weekend!