Monday, March 30, 2009

Freedom in Your Relationship with Food


Many people are connectingAdd Image health with diet and want balance to exist between the two. Today there are so many things that will hinder us in obtaining harmony and balance that we desire. Myra Lewin, author of Freedom in Your Relationship with Food" (Synergy Books, January 2009, ISBN 978-0-9815462-1-6, $16.95) offers an everyday guide to help us achieve harmony and balance with our food.

About the Author

Myra Lewin has 15 years experience in nutrition, holistic treatments and energy management. She is the owner of Maui Yoga and Ayurveda and is a at Hale Pule in Maui, Hawaii.

What you can expect

Freedom in Your Relationship with Food, will help others break away from unhealthy eating habits and be more discriminative of food choices.

Many of you are making dietary changes have struggles with staying on the bandwagon of change, including myself. This book will help you appreciate the importance of how food, feelings and nature work together to obtain harmony and balance. When our bodies are out of balance the body will definitely let us know. If you are a meat eater and trying to decrease your consumption of meat, this book can help guide you with the changes you desire to make.

I believe that when people continue eating unhealthy foods, they will eventually pay the consequences, if not now, later. Lewin states "According to numerous scientific studies, diet is a significant factor in the three leading causes of death in the United States: coronary heart disease, cancer, and stroke which accounts for 56.6% of all deaths."

We are truly the ones who have control over the foods we select to eat. Another great statement that Lewin makes in her book is,"Do not hand over your decision making power to someone else. I hear people repeatedly say, "I don't trust myself" and I have no discipline" in relation to food. This disconnection breeds an increasing occurrence of obesity, addiction, and disease in both adults and children."

I am guilty of not being conscious of what I put in and on my body, but am striving everyday to make changes. Lewin says "Bring consciousness to your behavior in all areas of your life, particular to to anything you put in and on your body. Consciousness around food and your relationship to it provides you the opportunity to choose foods that are in the best interest, not just to please others, to look good, or "to do it right."

I agree with Lewin on what she says about animal products (meat). Lewin says, "Animal products putrefy the colon because they are difficult to digest and move very slowly through the digestive tract. Wholesome food travels more easily through the digestive tract, leaving little time to spoil and incite disease within the body." She also says that "Ayurveda suggests a balanced diet without meats."

What does Yoga and Ayurveda have to do with food?

"Yoga and Ayurveda are vast, multidimensional, intertwined traditions that remind you to live in tune with nature inside and out, says Lewin."

"Ayurveda looks at the individual and addresses lifestyle and conscious living in unity with all of nature. It contains a beautiful basis for reconnecting to your true self through food and consumption," says Lewin. "The focus is restoring balance within the body, mind, and spirit. The approach is to eliminate symptoms by eliminating the cause."

You should check out Myra Lewin's book to gain more insight on how to break the relationship you may have with food. I am trying to make changes in my diet by consuming uncooked foods and it has been and continues to be a learning experience for me.

I chose to read this book, because I am trying to make changes in the way I eat and I desire to achieve harmony and balance in my body. This book has helped me put things into a greater perspective. It was definitely an eyeopener for me.

My eyes have been opened to Yoga and Ayurveda and I now have a deeper appreciation for them both. I will research more about Yoga and Ayurveda because I feel that this will help me obtain balance my mind, body and spirit.

I didn't realize how important our kitchen area was until I read this book. Our preparation area should be sacred and clutter free. It should be a place where we put our best into whatever foods we are preparing. When others eat your food they will feel the love and energy that went into preparing those foods.

This book is a must read for anyone who is seeking to make dietary changes. This book will help you take control over your food consumption and help you alleviate those cravings.

An Important Quote to Always Remember from Lewin's Book

"Don't believe a word I say. Work with what I have to offer and learn from your own experience." I suggest the same to you. Beliefs can be limiting, but your experience has infinite possibilities.