Friday, December 19, 2008

Raw Secrets I've Learned

I have done a lot of research about eating raw foods, before I began living a raw food lifestyle.  I have purchased several books and continue learning new things daily.  I have learned a few things along the way.  Here a few things I have learned:

What am I suppose to eat?
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Sea vegetables (not necessary)
  • Super foods (not necessary)
How do I need to be eating these foods?
  • Natural
  • Whole
  • Unaltered (juiced, dehydrated)
  • Uncooked
Do I need to take supplements/super foods?
  • No, not really.
  • Super foods = Money
  • As a raw vegan, I take a B12 supplement
  • Fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds is all I need.
Do I need to eat a lot of fat?
  • No
  • The body already has fat stored.
  • Adding oils is not a good idea, it slows down digestion (there goes my love for coconut oil).  I will continue to use coconut oil, but I will not ingest it as much (very little).  It is great for the hair and skin.
  • I don't need to eat a ton of avocados/nuts a day ( 1/2-1 avocado will do or 2 oz. of nuts), but definitely not on the same day.
  • I don't have eat fat everyday.
  • All I really need is about 10-15%.
How will I get my protein?
  • Fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds
  • Average protein from fruit (5%)
  • Average protein from vegetables (20%)
  • Nuts and seeds (15%)
  • As long as I eat enough to meet my caloric needs, the I should be okay
Will I need a juicer?
  • Yes, only if I want one and give into the hype that I need one
  • No, not necessary
  • I have a juicer, but have only used it one time.  I waisted my money, oh well, I've learned a valuable lesson.
  • I don't plan on losing any teeth anytime soon.
  • Takes out the fiber that one needs and I need my fiber.
Will I need a dehydrator?
  • Yes, only if I want one and give into the hype that I need one
  • No, not necessary
  • I have a cheap dehydrator and have only used it once.  I waisted my money again.  Oh, well...
  • I've never had the desire to eat a lot dried fruit and to make things in the dehydrator.  I like my fruit just the way it is.  Natural and whole, just the way God made it.
I have read many things from raw food gurus and experts, but I always find myself going back to the things that make sense to me.  The information that I share in this post is what I have
 learned from Frederic Patenaude the author of the Raw Secrets and it really makes sense.  

Before I go, let me tell you something.  I had a smoothie today (banana and peaches), well it was the best smoothie I had ever had.  I have a little secret, I did not add any coconut oil, bee pollen or any other super food, only water bananas and peaches and it was the best smoothie I had ever made.  Natural and whole is how I like my food.  Until next time.....